Tuesday, March 7, 2017

They say lose yourself in the work, well I'm lost! (First Week in Mexico, Week 7 Overall)

Elder Herman & Elder Ibarra
I made it to Mexico! The flight was terrible but I made it safely! When I got here my misión president and his wife picked me up. They speak a little English so it was a little difficult to communicate but it was still good! Then the drive to the misión home was crazy! Holy crap they drive crazy here! And the city is SO BIG! It took us like 3 hours to get to the misión home from the city and the whole time it was just never ending houses. So, first week was pretty tough but that's expected. I don’t know what's going on, everyone speaks so fast. My companion is Elder Ibarra he is a native and has been here for 18 months so he knows a lot and helps me a ton! He knows some English so he tells me what’s going on when I don’t understand anything (pretty much always).  Being in Mexico is a HUGE change from the United States. The first 3 days I had to shower out of a bucket cause we didn’t have water. Then when we have had water it’s freezing. We wash our clothes by hand but don’t worry we got a dryer thingy. J There are dogs everywhere, a ton of taco shops, it's really dirty and just a ton of people here! We walk soo much and there are so many crazy hills. The other day we saw some kids sliding down a hill with 2 liter Coke bottles, the hill was so steep lol. This is definitely a different experience for me. It's tough not being able to communicate very well with anyone. I already ate some cow tongue, it wasn’t terrible but the texture is no bueno. The food here is pretty dang good though! Also I am the first American to be in this area in 2 years! But the people are really nice and understand that I don’t speak well and don’t understand what they are saying so they just talk to my companion.
                I was reading February's Liahona and read “Working Out Weakness, Sketching Out Faith” and “Finding Peace in Imperfection”. They are so relatable to me and I’m sure others as well. Some scriptures in there were perfect for me right now. 2 Corinthians 12:10 “For when I am weak, then I am strong". We have to have challenges in this life to grow stronger and closer to our Savior. It is part of Heavenly Fathers perfect plan. We need to humble ourselves before God, He is our Father he wants us to succeed. But remember there is a difference between being humble and feeling of little worth or value. Then in Ether 12:27 “My grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me, for if they humble themselves before me and have faith I will make weak things become strong unto them”.  We have to have challenges in order to grow. I have been trying to focus on what I do now prepares me for my future, prepares me to become a better missionary, and a better man. Earlier in that verse it says “If men come unto me I will show them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble.” This life is a test. God knows what we can handle and what we can’t. We can do all things through Christ. He knows exactly what we are going through all the time because He suffered for us. If we want to become more Christlike we must suffer a little bit like He did for us. I love this Gospel and I can’t wait until I can speak better so I can bring more people unto this same happiness! I love you all. Thank you so much for your support!

                Love Elder Herman

P.S You can send me packages still and letters and fyi packages get here faster than letters I have no idea how

Send letters and packages to:
Elder Jake S. Herman
Apartado 98
Cuautitlan Izcalli, Mexico 54740

Mexico



No comments:

Post a Comment